Our vision is to be professional and sector-leading by exceeding our customers’ expectations, creating strong working partnerships while valuing each and every employee.
We will provide a campus that is welcoming, safe and secure by putting students and customers needs first and creating trust and confidence that we can always be counted upon.
What do our customers want?
- To always feel safe and secure
- Swift and rapid assistance at the point of need
- Excellent customer service, right first time, every time
- Staff who are always happy to help and who are prepared to go the extra mile
- To be assisted by professional, knowledgeable and motivated staff
- A service that is consistent across all shifts, at all times of the day
- For our staff to be visible and approachable when undertaking their duties on campus
- To have easy access to our security service, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What you can do to support us
Security Services would like you to:
- Co-operate with requests from security staff, especially in emergency or evacuation situations
- Follow security policies and procedures, which are designed for the protection, of staff, students and visitors
- Carry your staff/student ID card with you at all times
- Be vigilant and report any suspected behaviour to Security Services immediately
- Ensure we have up to date contact information if you are someone nominated to be contacted in an emergency, using the University Outlook system, for more information please contact the Security Office on 0113 343 5494
Who we are and how to contact us:
|Malcolm Dawson||Head of Security||M.Dawson@leeds.ac.uk|
|Mark Bownass||Deputy Head of Security||M.A.Bownass@leeds.ac.uk|
|Andrew Gordon Platt||Crime Prevention Officer||A.T.Gordon-Platt@leeds.ac.uk or email@example.com|
|Phil Thompson||Duty Operations Manager A Team||P.Thompson1@leeds.ac.uk|
|Greg Evans||Duty Operations Manager B Team||G.Evans1@leeds.ac.uk|
|Steve Sloan||Duty Operations Manager C Team||S.Sloan@leeds.ac.uk|
|Jamie McGrevy||Duty Operations Manager D Team||J.M.Mcgrevy@leeds.ac.uk|
175 Woodhouse Lane
- (0113) 343 5494/5 (non-emergencies)
- (0113) 343 2222 (emergencies only)
- Provide a 24-hour x 365 day Security service, located from the Security Services office on Woodhouse Lane
- Be a point of contact for all students, staff and visitors, offering customer service and advice about campus as necessary
- Provide a 24-hour Control Room to monitor CCTV and all associated alarms and telephone lines
- Provide a foot and mobile presence of the entire University Campus, to ensure a secure environment for staff, students and visitors
- Provide a foot and mobile presence at all University-owned and managed residences
- Provide security patrols to outlying University Sports Facilities at Weetwood Playing Fields
- Provide security patrols to any other University property buildings that are not on campus
- Provide dog patrols, on and off-campus, 24 hours a day
- Act as first responders in the event of any critical incidents that may affect the campus, including being the key point of contact for escalation to other nominated members of University staff (as identified in the University outlook system)
- Provide an on-call senior management team for escalation and management of any incident of a critical nature outside core University hours
- Provide a first responder capability to ALL Fire and Intruder Alarms
- Assist in the evacuation of University buildings, in the event of a fire, or any other incident
- Provide a first aid response on request, with fully trained first aid officers
- In support of the University sustainability strategy and cycling strategy, we will actively promote cycle security, offering D locks and lights for sale at our security office and cycle safety advice at key points in the year
- Provide security staff for VIP visits, demonstrations and key events
- Provide crime prevention advice to staff and students, in particular, those students who are new to the University, by delivery of welcome talks at intake, to create a safe environment
- Carry out investigations into all reported security-related incidents
- We will closely monitor our performance and effectiveness to ensure we deploy our resources as effectively as possible
- We will act on feedback from staff and students and we will actively seek feedback from our customers via our comments and complaints process at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provide a Lost and Found Property service
- Manage a repository of keys and access for the campus in liaison with Estate Services and faculty contacts
- The Security Services management team will provide security advice and contribute to the design of security in relation to all existing, new and refurbished buildings on campus
- In liaison with Estate Services, we will be a central point of contact for all contractors working on campus outside normal day hours
- Work in partnership and support the Leeds University Union
- Work with partner agencies, including other Higher Education Establishments, Leeds City Council and West Yorkshire Police, to embed best practice and seek to continually improve
Incident Response Times
On-campus Emergency 0-10 minutes
Off-campus Emergency 0-30 minutes
(dependant on location / distance)
On-campus Non-Emergency 0-60 minutes
Off-campus Non-Emergency 0-60 minutes
Other general enquiries or requests for information
Within 48 Hours
Performance Monitoring and Review
Performance monitoring and review and key performance indicators
The Security Services Manager and wider team will constantly review activity that takes place on campus on a daily basis and will deploy staff and services as necessary.
On an annual basis, we will invite all of our customers to provide feedback about the services they receive in our customer satisfaction survey and we will communicate continuous improvement actions we intend to take as a result of that feedback.
For customers who receive specific security services such as Residential Services, the Libraries and NEXUS, we will meet with those customers on a regular basis to constantly assess the services we provide.
We will also manage our service in line with key performance indicators, including our customer satisfaction scores, response time in accordance with our SLA, incident levels across campus, training of our officers and positive comments or complaints.
Comment / Complaints Procedure
Security Services actively seek your feedback about our performance and whilst we will always endeavour for that feedback to be positive, we acknowledge that there may be occasions where you feel our service could be improved upon.
We have a live comments and complaints email address email@example.com. Upon receipt of your feedback our Security Services Manager will be notified, and together with the wider Security Management Service will respond to your enquiry in person within 24 hours in the case of an urgent matter, for less urgent enquiries within five working days.
We also actively encourage all students, staff and visitors to contact Security Services if they require support on 0113 343 5494.