Last updated on 21 May 2021
May is Local and Community History Month. To celebrate, we’ve collated a collection of old photographs of campus to help increase awareness of local history.
The Bains Wing/Great Hall
- Construction started on The Great Hall in 1884 and took 10 years to complete.
- Along with Clothworkers Buildings and Baines Wing, the building was designed by Alfred Waterhouse (famous for his work on the Natural History Museum in London).
- The red brick style waterhouse used for the buildings helped coin the term ‘red brick university’.
Leeds University Business School (LUBS)
- The Leeds University Business School (LUBS) acquired the 19th century Maurice Keyworth, previously owned by Leeds Grammar School
- LUBS have since constructed further modern buildings around the Maurice Keyworth, such as the Clarendon Building and Charles Thackrah Building.
The Brotherton Library
- Before the Brotherton Library was built, the undercroft of The Great Hall housed all of the University’s library collections
- In 1927, Edward Brotherton donated £100,000 to the University to fund its first purpose-built library
- Today, the Beaux-Arts building is Grade ll listed.